Burrington School is 160 years old this year!
Although we don't know exactly when our school was built, we do know it was built in 1856. So we will be planning to celebrate 160 years of our school this year. We don't have a date yet, but we will be asking the community to join in the celebrations when we do! Here is a snipit of the school's history:
The school was built in 1856 on a plot of land on “The Green” given by the Earl of Portsmouth (who owned virtually all the village) to the Minister and Church Wardens of the Parish of Burrington. The Green, formerly the bowling green, still exists as a public open space with play equipment and seating adjoining the parish hall.
The cost of building materials for the school was met by public subscription, a grant from the Church of England National Society and by local farmers hauling the building materials with horses free of charge. Some stone came from the old Church house being demolished in what is now known as “The Square”. (Charity Commissioners Report 1911)
Built as an all age school for 130, it became an Infants and Juniors school only when the seniors were transferred to the new senior school at Chulmleigh in 1937. Over 160 years later Burrington school continues as a lively, modern place of education.